Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 10 tablespaces .dbf max file size
Oracle 10 tablespaces .dbf max file size [message #172986] Thu, 18 May 2006 16:59 Go to next message
shoman100
Hola,

I am a Oracle novice, and have a question or two I was hoping you can help me with.

I have done many Oracle 9i setups and help maintain our users. We are migrating from Oracle 9i to 10g. So I am performing some test installs and documenting the new processes.

I noticed that the default table spaces (sysaux,system,undotbs1, and users) defaults to a max file size of 32767mb.

This was a red flag to me. Some of my customers are small and don't have much drive capacity. With a 32767mb file limit per dbf file. Theoretically, they could run out of physical drive space if those files grew large enough.

I was curious what others doing about the max file size value. Do you leave it as default? Or lower the max file size value for each .dbf file? Do I want to make sure that the total of the values does not exceed the maximum free disk space?

I appreciate any help on this matter.

Mark
Re: Oracle 10 tablespaces .dbf max file size [message #172989 is a reply to message #172986] Thu, 18 May 2006 17:52 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/create.htm#sthref237
You can exclusively limit the file sizes to whatever your want.
If you ever run out of it, you can add more ( more datafiles to the same tablespace).
You never need a 32gb file for SYSTEM/SYSAUX (unluess you plan to have all the custom objects to be placed here. It would be a very a very bad idea).At most(i mean , really maximum. even if you install all the options) you need 1gb for system/sysaux.

Previous Topic: Undo Why
Next Topic: Incorrect select from a clustered table (probably OCI10 problem)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:40:29 CDT 2024