Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Is taking off and taking on the table partitioned data that simple?
Is taking off and taking on the table partitioned data that simple? [message #173460] Mon, 22 May 2006 10:39 Go to next message
doddiv
We have some 20 database tables that have with table partitions by a date range column. Each partition represents a quarter period ranges, each partition points to an independent tablespace and each tablespace is assigned to an independent dbf extension data file. As per our business requirement, we have to maintain a two years data online and any old data is to be archived quarterly. One of the archival purposes is to bring back any old data whenever there is a necessary. Two years back, during the design period, I thought that the independent tablespaces and data files can be helpful to easily remove a quarterly data and can be easily bring back if necessary. I thought that this way I can avoid exporting and importing process of data. For info, every night our 10G database will be shutdown for maintenance and be back next day in the early hours. So, without exporting the data to separate files, for archival purpose, is it possible to simply remove and keep the data files (dbf extension files) to a separate directory when the database is down. Also, when there is necessary to bring back any old data, the archived dbf extension files can be moved back to the regular directories before starting up the database? Of course I can create the necessary partition before bringing back the data. Is this strategy works? If still I need to relay on export and import methods for archiving the data, then I am thinking of writing scripts to create dat extension files for exporting data and to use SQL Loader to import the data back. Could some one help me with an advice? I appreciate in advance for the valuable comments and guidance.
Thanks,

Swamy.
Re: Is taking off and taking on the table partitioned data that simple? [message #173602 is a reply to message #173460] Tue, 23 May 2006 06:58 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:15713920350832099599::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:5168912609208
Previous Topic: Column data in Oracle block
Next Topic: KEEP Buffer Pool of VLM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:23:54 CDT 2024