Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle Installation
Oracle Installation [message #178297] Tue, 20 June 2006 09:14 Go to next message
it_me24
Hello Everyone,

I installed Oracle 9i release 2 on windows server 2003. oracle s/w got installed but during the database creation phase, it displayed as FAILED.
After that i tried to create the manual database from SQLPLUSW in window as:

conn as sys/oracle sysdba
but,
it displayed TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTOR ERROR
After that i tried thru command prompt as

oradim -new -sid prod

set oracle_sid=prod

SQL>startup nomount pfile='d:\oracle\oradata\pfile\initprod.ora'

Instance started successfully

SQL>create database prod;

Database got created successfully.

after that when i tried to conn as sysdba, I got conn from DOS command prompt, but not from windows. when I try to conn i get TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTOR ERROR
even if i did set an environmental variable as PROD

I checkd in the windows services....but i am not getting any PROD service......but i am getting lots of oracle 10G services(i had tried to install the oracle 10G earlier but terminated the oracle 10G installation as there was a problem with the oracle 10G CD)....but I have removed oracle 10G s/w completely, even from windows registry......

can anybody help........

anticipating a good response
Re: Oracle Installation [message #178370 is a reply to message #178297] Tue, 20 June 2006 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartin
Easiest solution: format and reinstall windows server 2003, download a fresh copy of oracle 10g, and follow the installation steps for a basic, generic EE database.

One of the bigger areas of improvement in version 10g over 9i was the ease and speed of installation. One disk instead of 3 and much quicker. Also, when you do the install, select the option that has oracle create a database for you. Then you'll be all set to go.

If you want to create databases in the future, use the database creation assistant, rather than trying to do it by hand. Also you don't have to format and reinstall windows, but uninstalling oracle, especially 9i on windows, can be tricky. There are tons of registry entries and file locations that hide in various, non obvious places. Gotta search for orcl, ora, oracle. If you can, it may be easier to reinstall windows.
Re: Oracle Installation [message #178574 is a reply to message #178297] Wed, 21 June 2006 09:58 Go to previous message
it_me24
Thank you very much for your quick response....

my problem is resolved now, I created the database manually. And it is working fine now.

But still if I try to run CATPROC.SQL.....it giving errors. I checked the path everything....
rest everything is working fine now....

thankyou once again....
Previous Topic: Oracle Server License Software cost
Next Topic: Oracle startup at boot time problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:41:58 CDT 2024