Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Backup Server Oracle 10g Database
Backup Server Oracle 10g Database [message #183746] Sun, 23 July 2006 04:06 Go to next message
limbe
Hello!,

I want to implement 2 servers oracle 10g dataabse on linux as follow:
1. Server 1 is in production
2. Server 2 is backup
I want server 2 database to be update immediatly server1 database is updated, so that if server1 failes I put server2 on production and users continue working.
How can i implement this.

Thank's

Hugues
Re: Backup Server Oracle 10g Database [message #183749 is a reply to message #183746] Sun, 23 July 2006 05:20 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You may want to look into RMAN Dupliction or Standby database concepts or even streams/ CDC.
All these are very diffferent implementation and depends on your need,time and effort you can spend or afford to spend during the database duplication.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/toc.htm

>> want server 2 database to be update immediately server1 database >>is updated, so that if server1 fails I put server2 on production
>> and users continue working. How can i implement this.
What happens if some data is accidentally dropped/unwanted things occurred in server1 and you found it a little later?
Changes might have already been propagated into server2~.
So please look into the above said concepts and choose one.
RMAN duplication is what you do on demand ( or scheduled by a scheduler). Advantages are you can duplicate a whole/partial database to any point in time prior.
RMAN Standby is where you transfer some files from production to DR site and apply changes over there.
CDC is change data capture, which finds more use in warehouse /ETL environments. You capture only the changed records, put them in a queue and propagate it to another database.
Previous Topic: table management
Next Topic: oracle server 9i question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:45:13 CDT 2024