Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » listener on a host
listener on a host [message #184922] Fri, 28 July 2006 13:20 Go to next message
nandac
if i have two seperate oracle instances on a unix host, do i need two seperate listeners for it?

the reason i'm asking this is that, i first created one oracle instance. then i did a ps -ef and checked that the listener was running. i also saw an entry for this listener in listener.ora.

then i created a second oracle instance on the same host. i did a ps -ef and saw that there was still only one listner. even listener.ora showed only one entry for a listener.

then i set my SID to the new instance and was able to connect to it using sqlplus.

so what's happening here?
Re: listener on a host [message #184924 is a reply to message #184922] Fri, 28 July 2006 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nandac
and one another thing i noticed is that while the first instance has an entry in both listener.ora and tnsnames.ora, the second instance has an entry only in tnsnames.ora.
Re: listener on a host [message #184926 is a reply to message #184922] Fri, 28 July 2006 14:21 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>if i have two seperate oracle instances on a unix host, do i need two seperate listeners for it?
Not essential. Depends on the need.
>>then i created a second oracle instance on the same host. i did a ps -ef and saw that there was still only one listner. even listener.ora showed only one entry for a listener
Documented, expected and correct behaviour.
You did create the instance.
But did NOT create separate entries.
Edit the listener.ora and add entries
Or
use netca to do the same

[Updated on: Fri, 28 July 2006 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ora-00600
Next Topic: 9i RAC vs 10g RAC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:49:40 CDT 2024