Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » recovery after operating system crash
recovery after operating system crash [message #193975] Wed, 20 September 2006 04:12 Go to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
i am using 8i server on windows environment there is always a risk of os crash when you are on windows environment
I want to make a attested strategy for this scenario
I have planned to take hot rman backup every week,month and six months
database is going to be in archiving mode

The first option is to update the windows,perhaps if we are succeded to update the os then oracle server will also be recovered after instance recovery which is automatically done by oracle server

but this option did not work and we have to re-install os then what we'll have to do then

is there any affect on oracle s/w?
should we need to reinstall s/w?

can anybody provide me step by step illustration to recover the database after os crash
Re: recovery after operating system crash [message #194003 is a reply to message #193975] Wed, 20 September 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
IF OS hangs,and u reboot..
Oracle will recover the database from available online redo logs..Thts called crash recovery .

And about OS reinstal..
have a backup copy of datafiles,redologs,control file,parameter file.
reinstall OS
reinstal Oracle software
put it back all files
set proper SID
startup using ur pfile
mount,open
Re: recovery after operating system crash [message #194008 is a reply to message #194003] Wed, 20 September 2006 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.Shakeel Azeem
i already have database in archiving mode and hot rman backups are available so is that possible to recover the database from that backup
OR should we make a manual backup before reinstalling the oracle s/w, i just want to recover to last point where os has been crashed
Re: recovery after operating system crash [message #194011 is a reply to message #193975] Wed, 20 September 2006 06:51 Go to previous message
gkrishn
You can use the current files in drives.If that fails only you need to use backup copies.

If OS intallation will not affect these files, let it be there(even u can rename those folders eg:oradata_back) .after software installaion just bring back the names and remove default folders created during OS install .
Previous Topic: How to estimate EXTENT size
Next Topic: dropping a datafile from the tablespace.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:14:47 CDT 2024