Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Data load from Informix to Oracle
Data load from Informix to Oracle [message #198219] Mon, 16 October 2006 03:51 Go to next message
mitra.kausik
Environment: Win XP version 2002 Service Pack 2
Destination database: Oracle 9i
Source database: Informix 7.3 on AIX OS

I was thinking of using SQL loader to pump data from informix to oracle.
In this process I would expect the backup file of informix to be converted in CSV file .As because sql loader would expect a delimited file.
As far as I know flat file size is restricted by OS so if the data is huge as in my case would be in millions .
Does it going to truncate data.
Consequently I would land up in data loss.

Any suggestions on this is highly appreciated because I haven't extensivley used sql loader and that too for huge data loading.

Thanks
Re: Data load from Informix to Oracle [message #198233 is a reply to message #198219] Mon, 16 October 2006 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
For migrating informix to oracle, please look here
http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html.

>>As far as I know flat file size is restricted by OS so if the data is huge as in my case would be in millions .
>>Does it going to truncate data.

In 32 bit OS a single file can grow upto 2gb.
In Unix there native utilities to take care of this (you can use pipes in parallel to create multiple files and compress them).

I don't understand the last line (bolded one).
I see no problems here with Oracle tools/technologies. If you can convert the file to CSV successfully then only Oracle tools can do its job.

I am not into informix and i have nothing to comment on it.
If there are too many tables and other objects and code (procedures etc), conversion using CSV may be painful.
Look into Migration Workbench.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 October 2006 04:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Data load from Informix to Oracle [message #198250 is a reply to message #198233] Mon, 16 October 2006 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitra.kausik
Thanks for replying
My concern is that a particular table has data of nearly 92 millions of records.
This table is going to be backed and converted to a CSV file.
I will use this csv file in sql loader to load the data.
So as you say the file size should not exceed 2 gb in a 32 bit os so if it does it is going to take that much data that fits in its 2 gb limit and the rest will be removed .
That is to say while converting to a CSV file there are chances of loosing data.

If you would advice me with any other solution ( except workbench) as I need to use only sqlloader for this operation.

Thank u very much.
Re: Data load from Informix to Oracle [message #198253 is a reply to message #198250] Mon, 16 October 2006 05:15 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>So as you say the file size should not exceed 2 gb in a 32 bit os so if it does it
>>is going to take that much data that fits in its 2 gb limit and the rest will be removed .

As i said before,
there are native utilities to take care of the 2gb file limit size.

>>This table is going to be backed and converted to a CSV file.
I am not into informix and i have no idea how informix works.
You sure the above thingy will work? In general,
you need to make use of some native informix tools to spool the data out
in a text format ( as in oracle/sqlserver). You cannot just convert the file into CSV.
In that case, you can easily address this. Create multiple files of 2gb ( first check your OS).
Previous Topic: User Limit
Next Topic: will solaris 10 ZFS supports oracle 9i ora ...???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 08:19:01 CDT 2024