Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Restoration Issues (Merged)
Restoration Issues (Merged) [message #202698] Sat, 11 November 2006 02:40 Go to next message
saiyshnav
Hi

SQL> alter database backup controlfile to trace ;

if i run above statement it is backing up controlfile in txt format,where it is store traced control file in system

Basically i want edit the controlfile to change the path's of datafiles

Thanks in Advance
Sai

[Updated on: Sat, 11 November 2006 02:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Restoration issue with cold backup [message #202699 is a reply to message #202698] Sat, 11 November 2006 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

check udump
sql>show parameter user_dump_dest

you can also use below cmd.

sql>alter database backup control to 'path';
above file is generated in encrypted format.

Control File Backups
Backing up the control file is a crucial aspect of backup and recovery. Without a control file, you cannot mount or open the database.

You can instruct RMAN to automatically backup the control file whenever you run backup jobs. The command is CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP. Because the autobackup uses a default filename, RMAN can restore this backup even if the RMAN repository is unavailable. Hence, this feature is extremely useful in a disaster recovery scenario.

You can make manual backups of the control file by using the following methods:

The RMAN BACKUP CURRENT CONTROLFILE command makes a binary backup of the control file, as either a backup set or an image copy.

The SQL statement ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE makes a binary backup of the control file.

The SQL statement ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE exports the control file contents to a SQL script file. You can use the script to create a new control file. Trace file backups have one major disadvantage: they contain no records of archived redo logs, and RMAN backups and copies. For this reason, binary backups are preferable

hope this helps.
Mohammad taj

[Updated on: Sat, 11 November 2006 02:55]

Report message to a moderator

Restoration Issues [message #202703 is a reply to message #202698] Sat, 11 November 2006 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saiyshnav
Hi

I have plan to do cold back,we taken all files like datafiles,logfile,init.ora,pwd.ora and traced controlfile which is from udump every thing is ok but in destination sever i have to change the Database name that mean present my Database name is "Sales9" i have to change name as "sales10",because "sales9" database by name is availble in destination serevr

Can some body suggest me

Thnaks in Advance
sai
Re: Restoration issue with cold backup [message #202704 is a reply to message #202699] Sat, 11 November 2006 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saiyshnav
Hi Mohammad taj

It help me a lot....

Thanking you
Restoration Issues [message #202706 is a reply to message #202698] Sat, 11 November 2006 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saiyshnav
Hi

"Sorry earlier the query psoted in PL/SQL new and later transfored to here"

I have plan to do cold back,we taken all files like datafiles,logfile,init.ora,pwd.ora and traced controlfile which is from udump every thing is ok but in destination sever i have to change the Database name that mean present my Database name is "Sales9" i have to change name as "sales10",because "sales9" database by name is availble in destination serevr

Can some body suggest me

Thnaks in Advance
sai
Re: Restoration Issues [message #202712 is a reply to message #202706] Sat, 11 November 2006 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KenJ
Hi,
Please set DB_NAME, INSTANCE_NAME etc etc in the new pfile to the new dbname. Then edit the CREATE CONRTROLFILE script and replace:-

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE <OLD DB NAME> RESETLOGS...........

with

CREATE CONTROLFILE SET <NEW DB NAME> RESETLOGS.............

Then run the CREATE CONTROLFILE script.

HTH,

Ken.
Re: Restoration Issues [message #202718 is a reply to message #202712] Sat, 11 November 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Please don't start a new thread for additional, related questions.
Post them as a reply to this one.
(And don't start in SQL - PL/SQL Newbies, they are ServerAdmin related)
Re: Restoration Issues [message #202726 is a reply to message #202706] Sat, 11 November 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

hi
you can use "nid utility" for change database name.

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/DBNEWID.php

hope this helps.
MOhammad Taj
Re: Restoration Issues (Merged) [message #202932 is a reply to message #202698] Mon, 13 November 2006 06:27 Go to previous message
sponguru_dba

Thanks Every body for all the help

Senario I followed

step1 conn sys/* as sysdba
step2 startup nomount pfile='<location>'
step3 CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "<db_name>" RESETLOGS
step4 startup mount
step5 SQL>Alter database open resetlogs

due to above steps

i got success

Previous Topic: How to use DBMS_SCHEDULER ??
Next Topic: connect privilege
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:41:33 CDT 2024