Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Datafile Size
Datafile Size [message #223623] Fri, 09 March 2007 17:15 Go to next message
Martyn.Jones
I am about to create a datafile which will have data around the 20GB mark.

Should i create one 20GB datafile or create 10 2GB data files. If possible can some explain why? I have been told by a colleague to create 10 2GB files, but he could not say why.

Regards

Martyn

Re: Datafile Size [message #223626 is a reply to message #223623] Fri, 09 March 2007 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
I usually keep them at 1 gig. But I am just an old guy from the version 7.3 days.
By keeping them at 1 gig it seems make the hot backup perform better.
Re: Datafile Size [message #223628 is a reply to message #223623] Fri, 09 March 2007 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I have been told by a colleague to create 10 2GB, but he could not say why.
If your OS is 32 bit, your datafile cannot grow more than 2Gb.
Modern generation servers are almost all 64 bit now.

You have not mentioned your version. Present day oracle tablespaces can support terabyte sized datafiles.
Having smaller files (and distributed across the disks) is for ease of administration.
Search the forum. There are many threads on this.
Re: Datafile Size [message #223645 is a reply to message #223623] Fri, 09 March 2007 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knam
which oracle- version ?
> 9.x you can create one.
the question is ,which tables or data do you have in the tablespace
for the performance it will be fine when you have tables with the same size.

i create different tablespaces for index / data and different tables.

Re: Datafile Size [message #223661 is a reply to message #223623] Sat, 10 March 2007 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martyn.Jones
It is Oracle 9.2 on Windows 2003 platform 32 Bit.

If I have Oracle 9.2 + Windows 2003 64 Bit, then I can get away with one data file of 20GB?

Also, I have noticed on past installations by a colleague, that when 10 2GB data files are created, the data is split across all data files. I would have though it would have started with the first one and then moved on the second, third, etc... when importing data.

Is this down to the table size when importing? I.e. if a table that is about to be imported is say 100MB but there is only 50 MB left in the first data file, the import puts the 100MB straight into the second data file and not split it?

Another question - are hot backups easy to configure?

Apologies for the apparently lack of knowledge, but I’m relatively new to this Oracle DBA stuff, so where some questions appear daft to most people, they are quite relevant to me.
Re: Datafile Size [message #223662 is a reply to message #223661] Sat, 10 March 2007 03:31 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> then I can get away with one data file of 20GB?
Yes. It is your decision ( based on your need. Consider administrative reasons.)
>>Is this down to the table size when importing?
no. You cannot control it. You assign table to tablespace. Not to specific datafiles.
>> are hot backups easy to configure?
Yes. Restoration is what painful Smile
Depends on "strategy" you choose. Depends on your business needs. Depends on time and effort you can afford to understand things.
I use RMAN and am very comfortable with it.
Previous Topic: how start the tnslistener / how edit connection string
Next Topic: problem with password file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:44:53 CDT 2024