Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » help in handle of archive log files.
help in handle of archive log files. [message #229421] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:28 Go to next message
suii
I have a production database containing two tablespaces wich each is 60GB size. And my database is in ARCHIVE LOG Mode.
Next I need to duplicate these two tablespaces into another users just for the test purpose. So I do the export-import tasks. For the export-import I am ok, everthing works perfectly.
However I got some questions to ask as below.

1) When I do the importing the archive log files will be generated, so I tried to reduce the archive generation by create tablespaces and tables with nologging option(I understand that with nologging option will make no archive file generation) before doing an import. However when importing, still there are archive log files generated. So any idea why they are still generated?

2) As these tablespaces are just only for test purpose, so I also do not want any transactions entered into these test tablespace pass into the archive log files(overhead and also space waste), so is the nologging option the correct option to use? or Any others.

Please help.....

Thank you so much for any idea and answer.

Re: help in handle of archive log files. [message #229423 is a reply to message #229421] Sat, 07 April 2007 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>duplicate these two tablespaces into another users just for the test purpose
In the same database?
Bad idea. Why not using a separate database?
>>I understand that with nologging option will make no archive file generation
Nologging may reduce the redo generation.
Nologging works only initially. All further dictionary changes will be logged (in import you do alter table for constraints).
And in a few cases, you cannot avoid generate redo always. Sometimes, there will be no direct redo. But the undo will create more redo which appears as just redo records.
Re: help in handle of archive log files. [message #229440 is a reply to message #229421] Sat, 07 April 2007 22:29 Go to previous message
suii

I got some of the constraints why I do these tablespace in the same database. Anyway Thank you very much for your answer.
Previous Topic: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
Next Topic: Oracle Migration from Oracle 10g to Oracle 8i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 00:54:05 CDT 2024