Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Dynamic Memory Allocation Question
Dynamic Memory Allocation Question [message #250461] Tue, 10 July 2007 02:29 Go to next message
tax_man
Hello, I am used to using Oracle 8i and understood how to set SGA sizes etc. However, not so with Oracle 9i! please help.

My situation:
- I have a 'data warehouse' Style app running on Oracle 9i - I do not need to dynamically change any memory settings (ever). I am happy to re-analyse the situation every 4-6 months and make changes then (with or without bouncing the DB)

- I want to allocate a third of my physical memory to Oracle (FYI the remaining 2/3 will be given to 2 other apps - 1/3 each)
Machine has 3 Gigs of RAM on it

- In Oracle 8i I had simply set:
buffer cache (db_block_buffers * db_block_size) = 0.5 GB
shared_pool = 0.5 GB
I realise that means the SGA will actually be a bit bigger than 1 GB because of Java_pool etc. etc. but that's OK... I want to allocate approx 1GB to the database

How do I achieve the same in 9i?
Specifically I dont understand the diff between Sga_max_size and Total SGA...??

Thanks very much!
Re: Dynamic Memory Allocation Question [message #250604 is a reply to message #250461] Tue, 10 July 2007 11:04 Go to previous message
DreamzZ
I guess this might help you.

http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1009
Previous Topic: ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
Next Topic: 32 bit oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 22:48:19 CDT 2024